Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah Ze Muzikal; A Valentine Excerpt

Everyone on my friend’s list knew that I am in love with theater arts from the moment I spoke my first word. Silly! It’s just an exaggeration. I’ve been a very active participant in the world of performing arts when I was still studying. I have won different awards from various competitions. I even had the chance to become one of the selected students that was given a role into one of PETA’s theatrical performance. But the dream to become the famous theater actress was crashed when I did not manage to pass UP’s qualification to study BA Theater Arts because of a lousy sour graping mother F’n teacher in high school (that I swear will incriminate her soul in a dark and stinky poop hole not even Satan can accept her in hell) .


So just like any losers will do… I packed my dreams inside a box and buried it under till it fades in my memory. I began moving on and embarking a new dream which I am practically doing right now. But the undefined calling of the spotlight and the stage is still unending echoes in my ears. I can’t stop from going back and digging the memories because I know deep inside my heart that there’s a special spot for this dream.



Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah Ze Pozter

So by watching various stage plays I can channel my screaming urge to be one of them. Last February 14, the boyfriend decided to buy me a ticket for the theater adaptation of Carlo Vergara’s famous comic book, Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah.


The stage play is the crowning glory of the author… since for me, the movie was crap and the comic book was lame. Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah was recommended by my college professor in Art Appreciation. He is an art enthusiast and not to mention, a columnist from one of the nationwide broadsheet here in the Philippines, that is why I trusted his judgment. I purchased the book and was unsatisfied by it.



The story is about a gay beautician who lives a boring life in a barrio. His life change when a magical pink rock falls down from heaven and hit him while he was taking a bath. Together with his sidekick Didi, also a homo, they discovered the hidden power of the magical pink rock and they fight the forces of evil. To make this synopsis short… this whole superhero thing is just a gay version of Darna.

The role of Ada, the gay protagonist of the story, was played by Vincent A. De Jesus, a multi-


Ze Cazt

awarded lyricist, composer and musical director. He’s from PETA and a very promising comedian. Vincent is also a Palanca Awardee and if I don’t stop writing his achievements, I’ll be spending another 400 words just to enumerate everything… so moving on… Eula Valdez played the role of Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah, the hero of the story. Ada becomes Zaturnnah every time he swallows the magical pink rock. Eula is a widely known actress in the big screen and Philippine TV. After being marked as the powerful Amor Powers in one of ABS-CBN telenovela starred by Jericho Rosales and Kristine Hermosa, she was indeed awarded as a very promising serious actress in her generation. But surprisingly, she portrayed the role of Zaturnnah perfectly. Didi was played by Nar Cabico which I wanted to commend for being the life of the whole play. His acting was brilliant and exemplary. He mostly gave punch lines that made the whole thing very entertaining.


I know I sucked at writing reviews but I know that you get the picture. The play is damn good and it really deserved the standing ovation and nonstop clamor inside CCP theater hall. I hope they will extend their dates of performance because as far as I know the last show was last Sunday, the day after Valentines. So for those who haven’t watched it yet, just try convincing the sponsors to have another one.



That’s it… BELATED HAPPY HEART’S DAY!





1 comment: