Saturday, May 19, 2012

The New Kid Story

So here's the thing. I started out with my new gig a couple of weeks ago. As hard as I wanted to walk away from the corporate world, that's how it goes strong in pushing me deep down until I can barely even recognize the sole purpose of being in this field. I now work for one of the biggest cellphone company in the entire Philippines. Not that we have so many options but this is pretty good. Pay is good. So far, work load is fine. People are nice in their own not so obvious ways. But what makes it really really surprising is how I manage to get into this position (without pulling any strings) that is obviously beyond my league.

Here are some points I want to stress out:

Let's start on a more shallow level. Aesthetically speaking, i don't blend well with my co-workers. You can ask anyone in my circle that I really do mind what I put on my back. I allot enough time and effort to do my hair, my make-up and my dress. But no matter how much effort I put on, still I don't look like them. To give you a picture of what I'm saying this is how the rest of the office looks like (see left picture) and this is how I dressed (see right picture). Now, i despised working on that floor. (for that matter only)



Topics of conversation; I'm single, child-less by choice and have no indication even a blink of socially accepted copulation. So most of the time, I stare blankly at my co-workers while nibbling my guts and pretending I have something to contribute with their baby topics. With that, I always failed miserably.

And lastly, I may have vast experience with Quality Management but handling one whole department is another story. I can feel the pressure on my shoulders just by looking at their hopeful eyes.  I am Capt. America and I will save them from the super-evil ISO auditors. Not that I am complaining, but that idea scares the shit out of me. Though, I learned from my past that being afraid is normal but we shouldn't let our fears overshadow our success. SO BRING IT ON! :)

Don’t get me wrong. I love working. It’s just that looking back when I was still young and still dreaming, this is not exactly what I planned my life will be. That is why I color outside the lines and do not confine myself with norms when I was growing up. I specifically wanted that kind of life where I don’t sit on my ass 9 to 14 hours a day, diddling with my keyboard. I don’t plan my life having a committed relationship with my personal computer. I want adventure, I want thrill… I want life. But instead, I am forced to swim onto the depths of technical boredom and live my life with standards, margins, rules or whatever words that can describe how strict customary procedure I am into.

Oh well, life is really changing while you are busy planning it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment